I think the pictures say a thousand words.
My engine project had stalled because I didn’t have a piston ring compressor. I’ve been staring at this beautiful SR20DET with CP Pistons and Eagle Rods, begging to be put together, but haven’t been able to do it because my dad said he had a piston ring compressor, but it was a piece of crap.
So I bought one, same result. $4.53 later from VW Paradise in San Marcos, BAM! I have a great little piston compressor that worked fantastic. We worked for about an hour, it’s my first motor assembly ever, and got the four pistons installed. The motor looks GREAT and I can’t wait to get the short block completed and move to the head. This motor should be a great upgrade for my Datsun Roadster.
So I have two motors and three valve covers for my SR20DET motor that I want to put in the first Datsun Roadster. I am excited about getting this engine just right. It’s a red top S13 and I want to do something a little different and special to it.
So the first step is paint removal. I still don’t have a compressor to power my soda blaster, , so I have to do it the old fashioned way. Lots of time stripping and sanding, trying to remove the paint. It’s been slow going, but it is looking good. I have another hour of work to do in order to get it completely ready for paint. I hope what I have planned works out good.
I want to remove the body of my Datsun Roadster so I can work on the chassis for a while and also so that I can do the body work with the car easily movable. So I saw Michael Spreadbury’s little jig that he uses to move his bodies around when working on cars.
Using only pictures, I thought I would try building the same thing. Started it a couple weeks ago and I got sidetracked by a week of rain. But now this baby is coming together. It’s finally welded and primed. I am hoping to put the final paint coat on it tomorrow with some fun graphics that I printed out.
I’ve been agonizing for the last week on what to do with the engine compartment on my Datsun Roadster. Unfortunately, I saw Spiro Motorsports beautiful Nissan SR20DET conversions and I have been lusting ever since.
So I’ve scoured the Internet and gone into multiple shops trying to figure out the best way to get the motor of my dreams. After an extensive search, I found a guy on Craigslist, who had a project started but got derailed.
The block is so beautiful and I can’t wait to have it in my shop. I am also excited for the opportunity to build a motor from the ground up. I’ve never done that, but I’ve always wanted to.
So I told the guy I wasn’t interested, but then I found another motor that had the missing parts I needed. So I’ve gone from 1 to 2 cars and now from 1 to 3 motors. Lol. Luckily, my wife is being supportive. I can’t wait to jump into this.
As a slight update, the past couple says I’ve been learning how to weld and trying to build a jig that the Datsun Roadster body can rest on while I am working on the chassis.
Today I tried to teach myself how to weld. Started out pretty rough, but as the day went on, I started getting better.
I saw Michael Spreadbury doing his conversion to the SR20DET and he made a body jig that holds the body while off the chassis. With no directions, just a picture, I started out trying to build the same thing.
So far so good. I have the base and top done. I will add the legs and casters on Monday I think.
As a side note, I got the Harbor Freight 90AMP MIG Welder, and I really like it. The little thing is a work horse. I can’t wait to use it in my Datsun Roadsters.